In our church, most young men and a lot of the young women serve missions at around the age of 19. Although I didn’t serve a mission, Forrest did, as did two (soon to be three) of my siblings, and most of Forrest’s siblings did as well. I’m grateful that they were able to sacrifice 18 months to two years of their lives to share our beliefs and the message of our Savior to people around the world.
Even though we haven’t had a missionary in our family in awhile, I remember how much fun it is to put together a package to send for Christmas. And as much fun as it was to put the package together, I can only imagine how great it must be for missionaries to get packages from home. I thought it would be fun to put together a list of gift ideas for missionaries, in case you are putting together a little care package for a missionary. While this gift guide is geared toward LDS missionaries, I know that many churches send out missionaries as well, so hopefully, you’ll find some fun gift ideas here as well.
- It’s important to know how long it takes for a package to arrive at its destination. If a missionary is serving in the state right next to you, it should only take a few days. However, if they are halfway around the world (like Armenia, where my sister served her mission), if you send it a few weeks before Christmas, it might not get there until a few months later.
- Customs: You need to make sure whatever you are sending will get through customs. Certain items won’t or are more likely to stolen (sadly) when they get to a certain location
- 问道：你永远不知道你的传教可能需要或想要什么。也许他们没有任何好糖果。也许是一盒cheez-它是他们想要的 - 我在Facebook上询问了传教护理包，还有几个人说他们想要Cheez-它的使命！虽然让一些东西令人惊讶的是，询问你的传教可能是让创造性果汁流动的好方法。
- Be considerate: While it may be tempting to send tons and tons of presents, there are a few things to try to be considerate of. First of all, be considerate of their companion. Their companion may not get anything for Christmas. And while most of them probably won’t care if their companion gets presents, I can imagine it might make them feel a little sad. Both my sister and brother said they loved when we would include something for their companion because they always would just light up, because they weren’t expecting anything. Secondly, be considerate of how much space missionaries have to store things — as in, they don’t have a lot! Make sure you aren’t sending anything that would be hard to transport to a new location. And also – try not to make them太homesick!
- Consider more than one package: As much as I’d like to say the mail systems of the world run seamlessly and perfect…they don’t. While it may seem like a pain to mail two packages, in the chance that one gets lost, the other package might still get there.
- 把宗教图片包:这probably sounds weird, but this is a tip we were given when my brother was serving a mission in Bolivia. Basically, people are less likely to steal a package if it’s covered in stickers of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary.
- 了解任务规则 - 虽然存在所有传教士的标准规则必须遵循，但某些规则在某些领域是不同的。例如，当Forrest首次启动他的使命时，传教士并不允许（根据他的使命总裁的妻子）听听会以任何方式制作“鲍勃”的音乐。然而，他的下一个特派团总统不介意他们听取迪士尼音乐，更乐观的教堂歌曲等。
Join the our LDS Weekly Newsletter!
LDS inspiration, activities, printables, and more!
Another blogger told me know that her mother-in-law makes传教士的丝袜也是。一定要检查一下。他们是如此可爱！
Stocking Stuffers for Missionaries:
Customized Jewelry- 我的朋友可以为传教士制作这些定制的项链，手表和钥匙扣。即使在使命之后，这些都会是一个如此有趣的纪念品！她还销售定制的经文案例和一些可爱的传教士衬衫！
个性化项链– a dear friend of mine makes these beautiful, customized necklaces that have the sister’s name and mission in them. I think any sister missionary would LOVE one of these!
Shoes (especially if they are in an area where they walk a lot!) – Any missionary will tell you that having good shoes is essential. Some missionaries even go through a pair or two!特派团鞋店e是购买优质传教鞋的好地方，因为它们是专门为传教士和牵引而建造的！有几个不同的选择，我知道任何传教士都会爱他们。他们是持续的！不幸的是，他们目前只为长老提供鞋子，但希望将来有可能成为一些。
Planner (This“知道它”计划者from In the Leafy Tree Tops would be PERFECT for sister missionaries!).
Skirts and Dresses (sister missionaries get15% off at ModestPop.com和Sorella Bella只为姐妹传教士衣服。我是一个巨大的粉丝旅途五。They have tons of beautiful AND most dresses and skirts that I think most sister missionaries will love.
Topic Tabs for the scriptures（这些似乎真的很酷！）
Ties (you could evenstitch a little message inside使它更加个性化）
NERF枪– a friend said that one year, she sent one of her kids a set of mini nerf guns with extra ammo. There were four missionaries living in one apartment, and they all had a lot of fun. Missionaries can have a little fun every now and then!
12天的圣诞节 - 我有几个人推荐这一点 - 发送传教士12礼品或信件，或者其他，他们每天都开设一天，前往圣诞节。这可能是一个有趣的礼物，为传教士和他们的伴侣做。这是一堆12天的圣诞节想法和free printables we did last year.
Any of the Nashville Tribute CDs – We LOVE this band. Some of their songs are a little cheesy, but overall, they have done a great job portraying the Gospel and Jesus Christ in a unique way. We own these three:Redeemer（刚刚发布 - 我非常喜欢它），Joseph Smith，和The Work(perfect for your missionary!)
Digital Recorder- 这可以以各种方式使用;向家庭发送消息，录制思想和印象，或者作为Forrest建议，记录有趣的对话。我告诉他，我并不真正支持与人的秘密录制对话，但我想这可能有一些好理由！
Money – I’m not a big fan of just giving people money for presents. However, someone I know said he asked his parents to put the money they would have spent on gifts in his account for when he got back from his mission. Even if you just send cash, I’m sure any missionary will appreciate it (especially if they often go over their food budget for the month!)
I wasn’t sure if I should call this section thoughtful, because really, aren’t all gifts kind of thoughtful?! Anyways, I think it described my sentiments best – gifts that have a little extra thought put into them!
Pictures in picture frame – Deseret Book just came out with an awesome line of picture frames that would be fun to send.
Okay, this is something that you would give your missionary after their mission, but it’s best to start when they are on their mission for the simplest process possible.Missionary Memoriesis a company that was created to help create beautiful books of the emails sent home during a mission. My mom created one for my brother, and it turned out amazing –you can check out her full review here。
First off, I just adore theseCaptain Moroni note cards。SO cute and perfect for missionaries.
A series of letters in envelopes that have a different purpose for when they should be open – for instance, one could say on the front “when you really need to talk to mom,” another could say, “when something super great happened,” etc.
I think most missionaries will appreciate food. If they are serving far away, they may not have had a certain type of food in a long time, just because they don’t have access to it! I remember sending my brother taco seasoning when he was in Bolivia! This goes back to the “ask your missionary” point I made earlier. You never know what they’ve been craving for eight months! You should also ask what is locally available.
This site has a lot of great ideasfor missionary care packages.